A number of NAHRO members have reached out to us in recent weeks to raise concerns regarding HUD's determination that PHAs and Redevelopment Authorities may not act as developers under the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. In response to these concerns, we authored a letter to HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan requesting that he exercise the waiver authority provided for under both the Recovery Act and the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 in order to place PHAs and Redevelopment Authorities on equal footing with for-profit and private nonprofit developers.
NAHRO is not making this request on its own. In a sign of the importance of this issue, six other national organizations representing local elected officials and housing and community development professionals have joined with us in this effort. The final letter, which was sent to the Secretary on January 14, was signed by the following groups:
- The National Association of Counties
- The National League of Cities
- The U.S. Conference of Mayors
- The Council of State Community Development Agencies
- The National Association for County Community and Economic Development
- The National Community Development Association
Read the letter here.