NAHRO Professional Development System (NPDS) Includes Certification
- Certified Specialist of Occupancy-Public Housing (CSO-PH)
- Certified Specialist of Occupancy-Housing Choice Vouchers (CSO-HCV)
- Certified Senior Specialist of Occupancy-Public Housing (CSSO-PH)
- Certified Senior Specialist of Occupancy-Housing Choice Vouchers (CSSO-HCV)
- Certified Specialist of Inspections-Housing Quality Standards (CSI-HQS)
- Certified Specialist of Inspections-Uniform Physical Condition Standards (CSI-UPCS)
NAHRO Operations Management Certifications
- Certified Manager of Property Operations (CMPO)
- Certified Manager of Voucher Operations (CMVO)
- Certified Manager of Maintenance Operations (CMMO)
- NAHRO/NeighborWorks Certified Community Revitalization and Development Professional (CCRDP)
NAHRO Commissioners Certification
NAHRO Executive Management Certification
Professional Development has been a major activity and primary service to NAHRO members and others in the industry for over 75 years. In the past 30 years, NAHRO has provided members and non-members alike with professional education and designations. However, before the advent of the NAHRO Professional Development System (NPDS), instituted by the Board of Governors in 2003, there was no cohesive or comprehensive industry-recognized system to categorize and chart the levels of learning, knowledge, and career development for individuals. For a list of Certifications, Click here.
Objectives of NPDS are to:
- Allow a person to obtain the relevant knowledge and skills necessary to conduct their job positions effectively;
- Provide an acknowledgement (certification) of an individual's demonstrated mastery of specific knowledge and skills;
- Permit employers to distinguish current and prospective employees relevant to their demonstrated knowledge of specific areas of agency expertise; and
- Establish a system that allows every individual to proceed at their own pace on their pathway of professional learning and recognition
What is certification and why is it important to you, your agency, and the public?
The certification of specialized skill-sets affirms a knowledge and experience base for practitioners in a particular field, their employers, and the public at large. Certification represents a declaration of a particular individual’s professional competence. Many organizations in today’s competitive and challenging economy have recognized their workforce as their most valuable asset. Likewise, individuals, whether employed or self-employed, know that now more than ever before they must acquire and maintain more comprehensive skill-sets to ensure their own attractiveness and ability in the workplace.
Certification affects employers, employees, and consumers. These groups can appreciate the following benefits:
- Employers recognize the establishment of a professional standard for individuals in a particular field
- Employers can make better informed hiring decisions based on these professional standards
- Employers experience a more productive, highly-trained workforce
- Employees gain prestige and a competitive advantage over non-certified individuals in the same field
- Employees gain employment opportunities as a result of this competitive advantage
- Employees may receive higher wages in the form of bonuses, education assistance, or higher salaries
- Consumers can make more informed decisions about qualified providers
- Consumers are protected from incompetent and unfit practitioners
Equal to the benefits of certification is the importance of establishing an underlying certification program based on best practices and recognized processes and procedures developed by the field of certification. The Institute of Credentialing Excellence (ICE) serves as the member-based organization for the field of certification to enhance professional excellence and ensure the competency of certification. Visit the ICE Homepage for more information.
Certification Developed According to Accreditation Standards
NAHRO believes that any certification needs to be held to the highest standards. Therefore, we have developed our certifications using established accreditation standards, which include:
- Education - NAHRO allows for a variety of venues to complete the educational components, including in class instruction, e-Learning, and consideration of other providers' education.
- Experience - Tasks skills and abilities require measurement from practical application. NAHRO believes that a minimal level of on-the-job experience prepares associates for certification. Additionally, extensive on the job experience is acknowledged in each certification track.
- Exam/Assessment - Certification requires validation of ability, and viable certifications are measured by exams and assessments, NAHRO understands and embraces this concept.
- Ethics - Most of NAHRO's members receive federal or government funds and as a result, create an environment requiring public trust. NAHRO is built on an ethical foundation and insists that all certifications provide exposure and guidance on professional ethical conduct.
- Re-certification or Certification Maintenance - The industry is always changing, thus requiring all recipients obtain continuing education in order to keep their certification active.
There's no time like the present! Click on one of the above certification titles and learn how you can advance your career with NAHRO certification and become a part of the NPDS.