The NPDS Approach to On-Site Training
The essence of the training is to fully engage participants in the learning process. We use a series of short lectures on specific topics (always in an informal setting to allow feedback and questions) along with case studies and group and individual exercises. These activities complement information presented in our workbooks. The HUD Admission and Occupancy Guidebook and the HUD Housing Choice Voucher Guidebook are the primary reference books that NAHRO uses for occupancy related topics, public housing and Housing Choice Voucher respectively. Using these reference guidebooks, we streamline information and supplement it with case studies, exercises, problem-solving scenarios, regulations, forms, policies, and procedures. This is the same material that HUD uses to train its staff on how to conduct RIM reviews and management audits. Participants are given first hand knowledge of the important issues to concentrate on and prioritize to achieve quality results. By interfacing the training with the Guidebooks, PHA's explanation on how tasks or calculations are performed will be lessened during a HUD management review. The agency will be performing according to the HUD protocol and using proper formats.
NAHRO provides Housing Quality Inspections and Uniform Physical Inspections training on an annual basis. Our trainings are designed to teach staff the inspection protocols to successfully meet PHAS and SEMAP requirements. When we work with individual agencies, we often complement the classroom training with "mock inspections" of agency units. This "hands-on" training has proven to be very effective.
NAHRO was one of the first vendors in the affordable housing industry to develop an asset management seminar. The basic program provided through short lectures and "hands-on" classroom exercises allows staff to discover how concept and application work when transitioning from central-based management to site-based management.
Our organization management training programs are designed to be totally interactive. They are developed by consultants who are thoroughly knowledgeable and skilled about the principals of organizational processes. NAHRO's consultants are skilled at providing internal/external customer service training that is results oriented.
NAHRO already has much of the curriculum designed and has been training annually on these topics for many years. Our materials are current and have proven the test of field delivery. The curriculum can easily be customized or tailored to meet the needs of your agency.
We apply the following principles to all of our trainings. We find the best method is to learn by doing and thinking about the particular issue at hand. Case studies are developed from our extensive knowledge of the industry and come from the end users perspective.
NAHRO consultants/trainers bring the following strengths to the process:
- Experience in training on this subject matter throughout the country
- Assisted HUD, and other national, state and local organizations in the development of the training materials
- Practical experience and knowledge on the administration of High performing PHAs
- Practical experience and knowledge on turning troubled agencies into standard or high performing PHAs
- A proven record of outstanding facilitators on the subjects
- A proven record of achieving outstanding results and obtaining customer satisfaction and repeat business
- Recognized authority and industry leader on operational and management training subject matter
- Up-to-date on the latest requirements including proposed legislation
The Case Study Approach:
NAHRO's case study approach enables the participant to have multiple methods of learning by practicing examples. These techniques include:
- An in-depth explanation of the rule, regulation, policy or definition
- Practice by using checklists and forms to transfer the regulation into a usable format
- Realistic case examples that bring the forms to life and allow for meaningful practice
- Engagement of participants into the exercises through both group and individual exercises
- Allowing participants to ask questions from their own experiences and addressing issues that have directly impacted their housing agencies
- Allowing staff to explain solutions, and how they applied the regulation to the case example
Adult Learning Approach:
NAHRO designs programs for adult and professional participants because we understand adult education and learning is based on the following principles:
- Adults learn by doing
- They need realistic examples in which to relate real life experiences
- They learn from what they already know
- Adults learn better in an informal environment; remove the fear factor
- Guide and prompt; do not tell
- Give immediate feedback and allow time for absorption
- Transfer the information to a format that they already know
- Show enthusiasm for the subject
- Use repetition; repeat things in slightly different ways to enhance the learning process; practice makes perfect