Advocacy for Commissioners
With the continual shrinking of HUD budgets, RAD and current trends of repositioning in affordable housing, advocacy is more important now than ever before. Commissioners become advocates for your PHA and residents and use your voice!
Learn why advocacy is so important and the benefits advocacy can bring to public housing. Participants will examine why they were called to work in the affordable housing industry. Learn how impactful advocacy at the local and federal levels positively impacts current and future funding, and services for residents.
Concepts from Simon Sinek’s book, “Start with Why,” will be used to facilitate a paradigm shift; helping attendees discover ways to combat compassion fatigue; get motivated and reinvigorate their advocacy efforts.
After completing this training, participants will be able to:
- Identify basic principles of advocacy and why advocacy is important for public housing programs and communities.
- Explore how using NAHROs Advocacy App and Action Alert Centers can simplify and expedite advocacy efforts.
- Develop strategies to engage important community stakeholders, residents, public officials, and legislators, to maximize advocacy outcomes!
Who should attend?
- Commissioners of all experience levels
- Employees want to develop basic advocacy skills and knowledge.