Home › Commissioner Resources
Welcome to the Commissioners Resource Page!
Listed below are resources to assist you in your role as Commissioner. Items will be continually added, so please visit this page often.
- Commissioners' Opportunities:
- Empower, support and encourage commissioner participation in NAHROs National Professional Development System (NPDS), particularly the National Commissioners Certification.
- Enhance commissioner communication to include networking, chapter, region and national conference participation via email, phone, publications (regional/chapter/state newsletter, National NAHRO publications (NAHRO Monitor, Journal of Housing and Community Development magazine (JOHCD), Twitter and Facebook;
- Assist to strengthen our legislative power through commissioner advocacy and community outreach. Serve as mentors to new commissioners and encourage active, strong participation in legislation that affects our agencies and communities. Rally to encourage participation in letter writing campaigns, messages to your respective legislators and active participation as a Congressional District Contact (CDC).
- Collaborate and actively participate with National NAHRO committees to achieve goals, strategies and tactics set forth in the work plan.
- Commissioners Contact Form - Are you receiving email communications from NAHRO? If not, provide NAHRO with your contact information and find out how to become a NAHRO Associate.
- Advocacy Action Center - When decisive, collective action is needed, a call to action prompts a visit to the advocacy action center! Here you will find resources like elected officials information, policy tools.
- Advocacy/PR Toolkit - This page contains valuable resources such as best practices, how to work with congressional staffers, and more!
- The Ambassadors Initiative - Encourages Commissioners to actively advocate for their communities and the residents we serve
- Commissioner Mentors List - New to the industry and have questions? Our Commissioner Mentors can help!
- Elizabeth B. Wells Memorial Award - NAHRO Individual Award for Commissioners
This NAHRO individual award honors a current commissioner, or one who has served within the past 12 months, who has demonstrated excellence in advocating for and developing the financial, political, and community support necessary to ensure the continuation and expansion of housing or community development programs. The award was established in 1987 in the name of Elizabeth B. Wells to provide a living acknowledgment of the outstanding contributions she made to the housing field as a member of the Board of Commissioners of the King County (WA) Housing Authority and as NAHRO's first Vice President of the Commissioners Committee.
- Housing America - This campaign that aims to raise national awareness of the need for and importance of safe, quality, affordable housing through education, advocacy and empowerment.
- Little Libraries - Plans/Tips for Library Builders - The Little Libraries is based on the "take a book leave a book" concept in neighborhoods.
- NAHRO Commissioners Certification (NCC) - Acquire and maintain the skill set you need to be an effective Commissioner.
- Certification Frequently Asked Questions
- Seminars for Commissioners:
- Commissioners' Fundamentals
- Ethics and the Housing and Community Development Commissioner
- Marketing, Image-building and Community Engagement
- Strategic Planning, Agency Development and Policy for Commissioners
- Succession Planning & Hiring Executive Staff
- Succession and Sustainability Planning and CEO Search
- The Handbook for Commissioners - An informative and educational publication on the responsibilities and liabilities of public housing policymakers.