Transitioning from UPCS to NSPIRE
Did you know that HUD is moving from the UPCS inspection standard for Public Housing to the new National Standard for the Physical Inspection of Real Estate (NSPIRE)?
The new NSPIRE model prioritizes health, safety, and functional defects over appearance. The new inspection standards will provide an improved view of the true physical condition of the property. The NSPIRE model supports the adoption of sound, year-round maintenance practices. This new model will impact REAC inspections and the scoring of the PHAS Physical Assessment Sub-system (PASS).
Now is the time for directors, managers, property managers and maintenance supervisors to start planning for this change and to ensure understanding of the new standards and scoring.
The NSPIRE model is designed around mutually supporting elements consisting of three types of inspections, three categories of deficiencies, and three inspectable areas. Together, these components increase the focus on residents’ homes (units), reduce inspection complexity, and improve confidence in HUD’s ability to identify properties that are not meeting minimum standards. HUD is reviewing the lessons learned throughout the NSPIRE demonstration project and is nearing the final steps towards implementation.
Get the latest information on the transition, including:
- dictionary of terms (deficiencies and corrective actions)
- the new software platform and photo upload requirements
- annual inspection criteria
Join us to prepare your agency for NSPIRE transition scheduled to occur in 2023.
After completing this training, participants will be able to:
- Obtain the latest information on the new standards used for the physical inspection of Public Housing.
- Determine what you need to be ready for NSPIRE standard
- Discover how NSPIRE will affect REAC and PHAS scoring.
- Explore key elements of the transition including the electronic database, staff training staff, and oversight responsibilities.
Who Should Attend?
- Executive Directors
- IT Staff
- Program and Property Managers
- Maintenance Personnel