In Case You Missed It: NAHRO Highlights from Spring and Summer 2023
Mark Thiele on Changemakers Podcast
Back in May, NAHRO CEO Mark Thiele sat down with Katie Goar (Quadel) to talk about his journey and the boundary-pushing work he’s doing with the team at NAHRO.
NAHRO’s First in-person Summer Symposium
On July 14 and 15, hundreds gathered at the Grand Hyatt in Washington D.C. for NAHRO’s first in-person Summer Symposium!
- Welcoming back former NAHRO CEO and current HUD Deputy Secretary Adrianne Todman
- The debut of the new NAHRO 360 report on federal housing and community development programs
- Breaking news on HOTMA implementation
- Inspiring presentations from Leah Rothstein (co-author of Just Action) and Dr. Marcie Beigel (mental and behavioral health expert).
- A beautiful rooftop reception with a surprise visit from HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge
Don’t forget to join NAHRO in New Orleans this fall for NAHRO at 90: CELEBRATE, our National Conference and Exhibition.
August Advocacy Started Early
If Congress can start early, so can NAHRO! With the House and the Senate already considering FY 2024 funding for HUD programs, we launched August advocacy early! These appropriation bills have a major impact on housing and community development funding in the upcoming fiscal year — housers and community builders nationwide need resources to provide safe, affordable homes in thriving communities.
Remember: Each week during August advocacy, NAHRO will ask that you send one letter on a different topic impacting housing and community development programs. We make it easy — go to www.nahro.org/advocate to send pre-drafted, editable letters to your federal legislators. Our goal this year is to send at least 50,000 letters to Capitol Hill and the White House!
DEI & Community Readiness Trainings for All
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) is vital to the work of affordable housing and community development professionals. That’s why NAHRO is excited to announce a new free training series “DEI and Community Readiness” for members and non-members alike.
The three-part online training will be held twice this fall/winter:
Class size is limited, so don’t wait to register!These trainings were made possible by a grant from Wells Fargo, which allowed NAHRO to conduct research to learn more about the information and training needs of housing agencies in the vital sphere of diversity, equity and inclusion.
More Articles in this Issue
- The past two years for public housing investments saw unprecedented Congressional and HUD consideration of…
- NAHRO released its first ever, NAHRO 360 report on July 15 at the 2023 Summer…
- Eudora Baker is one of a 150 residents at Collier Gardens Apartments in Rockford, Illinois,…
- Developing policies, practices, and partnerships that support equitable resident outcomes is a continuous goal for…
- YardiYardi’s plans to help clients through HOTMA Spend time with professionals from the affordable housing…
- In March 2023, the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) awarded 20 prestigious…