NAHRO Merit College Scholarship
The NAHRO Merit College Scholarship awards $1,000 each to eight scholars, one from each NAHRO region, who are pursuing their first post-secondary degree. Each NAHRO region submits an applicant of their choice from their own scholarship program. If no regional scholarship program is in place, the region will select one eligible applicant to complete the NAHRO Merit College Scholarship application. The regions’ scholarship applications then are judged by the NAHRO Scholarship Committee, which is comprised of Housing America Advisory Committee members.
From these eight scholarship winners, the NAHRO Scholarship Committee will choose three candidates to become a part of the NAHRO-LDG Scholars program, which is a 10-year venture that will provide $1 million in scholarships and internship opportunities to low-income students from around the country and is funded by the award-winning multi-family housing developer, LDG Development.
John L. Carroll Memorial Scholarship for Small Agencies
About John L. Carroll
John began his career at NAHRO in 1980 as an intern while he was completing his Bachelor’s degree in urban planning at George Washington University. He received his bachelor’s degree in 1981. He permanently joined the staff as a Community Development Assistant in June 1981, remaining in the Housing and Community Development Services Division until 1986. At that time, he became Director of Training and Development, with responsibility for overseeing the development, updating, and scheduling of NAHRO’s various training programs. During his tenure in this position, NAHRO’s training programs increased significantly in number and scope. One innovation suggested by Mr. Carroll and adopted by the Board of Governors was a limited number of scholarships for staff of small agencies to attend NAHRO trainings.
John was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, and graduated from the Worcester Academy in 1975. He was listed in “Outstanding Young Men of America” in 1986. He lived in Alexandria, VA where he was active in a number of civic and service organizations. John passed away in December 1991.
The John L. Carroll Memorial Scholarship
Expressly for small agencies, the John L. Carroll Memorial Scholarship was established in 1993.Each awarded scholarship will cover the tuition of one NAHRO Professional Development live seminar or online course registration. A maximum of 5 scholarships will be awarded during each application period.
- The agency must be a current member of National NAHRO
- The agency must have no more than 550 combined HCV-assisted and/or Public Housing (current or RAD-converted) units.
- The agency must submit the online application before the scheduled deadline.
- The agency may apply for only one scholarship per application period.
- All scholarship applications are reviewed by the national NAHRO Professional Development Committee.
- Award winners will be notified after the selections have been finalized. It is not necessary to know the location or date of a specific training product. NAHRO training programs are held throughout the continental United States. Please see the Training Calendar for a complete list of seminar dates and locations.
NOTE: At this time NAHRO is not accepting applications for this scholarship.