NAHRO Merit and NAHRO-LDG College Scholarship Rules
NAHRO Merit College Scholarship
The NAHRO Merit College Scholarship Program awards a one-time payment of $1,000 each to eight scholars, one from each NAHRO region, who are pursuing their first post-secondary degree (scholars applying for a master’s or a Ph.D are not eligible). Each NAHRO region submits an applicant of their choice from their own scholarship program. If no regional scholarship program is in place, the region will select one eligible applicant to complete the NAHRO Merit College Scholarship application.
Three NAHRO Merit Scholarship program winners will be selected by the NAHRO Scholarship Committee to become a part of the NAHRO-LDG Scholars program.
NAHRO-LDG Scholars Program
The NAHRO-LDG Scholars Program is a 10-year venture that will provide $1 million in scholarships and internship opportunities to low-income students from around the country and is funded by the award-winning multi-family housing developer, LDG Development.
In addition to the one-time scholarship provided through the NAHRO Merit College Scholarship, NAHRO-LDG Scholars will receive:
- A $12,000 scholarship distributed over four years to assist with tuition and university affiliated housing expenses
- An opportunity to earn up to $9,000 in stipends for summer internships and other approved activities that support the student’s academic matriculation
- Networking opportunities with business and community leaders
All scholarship funds are sent directly to the accredited institution of higher education or university housing official once proof of registration is received.
Who Is Eligible?
- Eligible individuals are provided a service or live in a household managed by an eligible national NAHRO member agency that is in good standing.
- Eligible scholars must be a graduating high school senior or possess a high school diploma or GED and must be applying to or attending an accredited institution of higher education pursuing their first post-secondary degree. (Scholars applying for a master’s or a PHD are not eligible). If currently attending college, applicants must be registered as a full-time student.
When Is the Application Deadline?
Each NAHRO member agency and NAHRO region will have – ask your regional representative for details or click here for a list of regional contacts.
How to Apply
If you are the scholarship applicant: complete the scholarship application then return it to the designated staff member at your housing authority before the housing authority’s deadline.
If you are the national NAHRO member agency: submit your scholarship applications to your regional representative before the region’s deadline. Each region will conduct its own judging, and one scholarship candidate per region will be submitted to national NAHRO for consideration.
If you are the NAHRO regional/scholarship representative: Send the winning scholarship application for your region to NAHRO.
Please review this material carefully. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Scholarship Applicant:
- Information form: To be considered complete, all sections of the application must be completed. If a section is not applicable, write N/A (not applicable) in the section; do not leave any sections blank. Any application that has blank sections, or that is missing appropriate submittals or signatures will be disqualified.
- One letter of character recommendation: Please attach one letter of recommendation from a non-relative. Eligible recommendation-writers include a representative from the local housing authority or community organization, an employer, or a school professional such as a teacher or a guidance counselor. No recommendations from family members will be considered. Please include the name and relationship of the recommender, and length of time you have known them.
- An unofficial transcript from high school and/or the academic institution the applicant is currently attending. A digital copy or scanned in hard copy are both acceptable.
- Verification of acceptance/attendance at an accredited institution of higher education.
- An essay (750-1,000 words) written by the applicant. Essay prompt: Please tell us about yourself and how this scholarship could help you in achieving your goals over the next four years, including what you are doing now to achieve them.
- A clear, high-resolution headshot photo of the applicant.
For NAHRO Member Agency:
Submit the scholarship applications to your regional scholarship representative for the regional judging before your region’s deadline. Only one candidate per region will be submitted to NAHRO for consideration. To be eligible for the consideration, your agency must to be a national NAHRO member in good standing.
For NAHRO Regional/Scholarship Representative:
After your regional judging, send the winning scholarship application to Libby Miller at email@example.com.