Introducing the 2021 Cohort of NAHRO Merit and LDG Scholars
NAHRO and award-winning multi-family housing developer LDG Development are pleased to announce this year’s NAHRO-LDG Scholar cohort. The NAHRO-LDG Scholars program is a 10-year venture that provides $1 million in scholarships and internship opportunities to low-income students from around the country. Students also receive networking opportunities with housing professionals from NAHRO member agencies nationwide.
This year’s cohort includes:
- Yvonnah Ann Marshall from Fargo, N.D., Fargo Housing and Redevelopment Authority. She is attending Concordia College in Minn. this fall and studying healthcare administration.
- Deschalyn Riase, from Port Huron, Mich., Port Huron Housing Commission. She is attending Central Michigan University in Mich. and hoping to pursue a career as a teacher or lawyer.
- Karen Medina, from Harlingen, Texas, Casa Grande Cameron County Housing Authority. She is attending Texas State University and pursuing a career in healthcare.
- And introducing this year’s first-ever NAHRO-LDG Merit Honoree, Christopher Chieng, from Franklin, Mass., Franklin Housing Authority. He is attending Vassar College in N.Y. and studying international studies and expected to graduate this year.
Eligible students must reside in HUD-assisted affordable housing administered by NAHRO member agencies, who submit applications on their behalf. The NAHRO-LDG Scholars were chosen from the other regional winners of the NAHRO National Merit College Scholarship:
- Destiny Simon (Mobile Housing Board)
- Arianna Billoups (Housing Authority of the County of Alameda)
- Christeen Abdelshahied (Bayonne Housing Authority)
“The LDG Foundation is proud to once again support an amazing group of students who are committed to furthering their education and pursuing a college degree. Not only has this year’s NAHRO/LDG scholarship recipients proven themselves in the classroom, but through their extracurricular activities, civic engagement and community service; they have demonstrated their commitment to improving the neighborhoods in which they reside,” said Chris Dischinger and Mark Lechner, co-founders and co-principals of LDG Development. “Clearly, the NAHRO/LDG scholars represent the very best this country has to offer and we look forward to watching and supporting them as they evolve into the leaders of tomorrow.”
Headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, LDG has developed almost 10,000 units for families and seniors across eight states. The company was founded about 25 years ago based on the belief that everyone deserves a quality place to live. NAHRO is a national organization of affordable housing and community development professionals and industry partners, whose members provide housing to more than 8 million people.
More Articles in this Issue
- NAHRO is now offering pre-sales for the 2022 Housing America “What Home Means to Me”…
- The Vancouver Housing Authority has long supported vulnerable, low-income tenants who struggle to keep their rental housing. The…
- The San Antonio Housing Authority (SAHA) won a 2020 Award of Excellence for Project Design…
- The Philadelphia Housing Authority won a 2020 Award of Excellence for Project Design for its modernized and rehabbed its Sharswood Tower.…
- The Housing Authority of the City of San Buenaventura won a 2020 Award of Excellence…
- The San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) won a 2020 Award of Excellence for Project Design for redeveloping a…