Join our Commissioner Fundamentals training to create a strong foundation for your work as a housing commissioner. The commissioner’s role is complex and can be daunting at times. We hope you will join us as we explore the roles and responsibilities of housing commissioners. Participants will also discover that the commissioner role is multi-faceted; commissioners are advocates, leaders, team builders and strategists. You’ll also learn the intricacies of board-staff relationships and boundaries, and review the principles and strategies of board governance, as well as some of the oversight functions of the board.
After completing this training, participants will be able to:
- Identify and understand my roles as a commissioner
- Understand and apply the principles of board governance
- Define the commissioner’s role in agency policies
- Describe the commissioner’s role in the oversight and monitoring of agency finances
- Explore the boundaries and relationship between commissioners and the Executive Director
- Establish an ethical workplace environment and set ethical standards for the agency
- Advocate for the affordable housing needs in your community
Who should attend?
- New Housing Commissioners
- Experienced Housing Commissioners
- Commissioners seeking NAHRO Commissioner Certification
|In-Person: 1.5 Days
Online: 9 Hours